When it comes to fully being able to enjoy your wedding day, it all comes down to one thing…being prepared! Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered, below are a few of my favourite last minute wedding day tips and tricks!
1. Wedding Day Emergency Kit: Don’t worry about putting one together, I totally have you covered! I keep an Ultimate Wedding Emergency Kit in my car for every wedding in case something goes wrong. If it rains I’ve got a couple of awesome umbrellas for the two of you (keep an eye on the forecast though, because if it’s really really calling for rain, you may want to buy matching umbrellas for your immediate family and wedding party).
2. If we are meeting you for getting ready photos before-hand, be sure to have all of the items you want photographed gathered for us.
Grooms, this could include ties, socks, shoes, boutonniere, cuff links, watch, cologne, cigars, scotch, etc. Be sure to tidy too! I know wedding days can be busy, but there’s nothing worse than a cluttered background in a photo.
Fellas, make sure your men have all the pieces to their suits. I know this sounds obvious but sometimes cuff links, ties, or even shoes are missing. Also, it’s a good idea to make sure they all know how to do up ties, suspenders and cufflinks so that getting dressed goes off without a hitch. If they’re not familiar, a quick Youtube video before the big day is a good idea.
Brides, this could include rings, invitations, jewellery, garter, bouquet (keep these in water as long as you can), shoes, perfume, and a nice hanger for your wedding dress etc. Bonus points if you ask your florist to leave a few loose blooms and sprigs to really accent these photos! Also, if you’re thinking about matching robe pictures, please please please be sure to steam them!
Ladies, please seriously consider the weather when choosing your hair style. There is nothing worse than wind blowing pieces in front of your face/causing your down-do curls to fall and look scraggly. Humidity isn’t kind either and will also cause curls to fall. Chat with your stylist about the best options leading up to the day so that you can make the best choice that will reflect in easy, fuss-less photos. Also, please ensure that the proper amount of time is allotted for hair and makeup. These services have a tendency to run over schedule which then has the potential to impact the timing of the entire rest of the day…
3. Eat a snack (and pee) before you put your dress on. Be sure someone is in charge of/knows how to do up the back of your dress and the bustle. If you have buttons, bring a crochet hook, it makes all the difference for a speedy experience. If you have a video of this on your phone, make sure that you can easily access it for reference if needed.
4. Be sure to chat with your celebrant before the wedding to make sure they don’t have any media restrictions. Practice your first kiss, and be sure to hold it on the big day! This is a great photo-op that everyone loves to capture! Lastly, ask your celebrant to step aside when they announce your first kiss – it makes for a better photo.
5. Don’t worry about what time it is. I’ll keep us on schedule as much as possible.
The day goes by quickly, so just HAVE FUN!